Ingrown toenails are a standard situation during which the nook or facet of a toenail grows into the smooth flesh. The result’s ache, infected pores and skin, swelling and, generally, an an infection. Ingrown toenails often have an effect on the massive toe.
Typically you may maintain ingrown toenails by yourself. If the ache is extreme or spreading, your well being care supplier can take steps to alleviate your discomfort and enable you keep away from problems of ingrown toenails.
If in case you have diabetes or one other situation that causes poor blood movement to your toes, you are at larger danger of problems of ingrown toenails.
Merchandise & Providers
- Book: Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies
Ingrown toenail signs embrace:
- Ache and tenderness
- Infected pores and skin
- An infection
When to see a health care provider
See your well being care supplier in the event you:
- Expertise extreme discomfort in a toe, pus or infected pores and skin that appears to be spreading
- Have diabetes or one other situation that causes poor blood movement to the toes and you’ve got a foot sore or an infection
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Join free, and keep updated on analysis developments, well being ideas and present well being matters, like COVID-19, plus experience on managing well being.
Causes of ingrown toenails embrace:
- Sporting sneakers that crowd the toenails
- Reducing toenails too quick or not straight throughout
- Injuring a toenail
- Having very curved toenails
- Nail infections
- Sure medical situations
Components that enhance your danger of ingrown toenails embrace:
- Being an adolescent, when toes are likely to perspire extra, which softens the nail and pores and skin
- Having nail care habits that encourage the nail to develop into the pores and skin, comparable to reducing the nails too quick or rounding the corners
- Having a decreased capacity to care to your nails
- Sporting sneakers that constrict the toes
- Taking part in actions, comparable to operating and kicking, that put your toes susceptible to harm
- Having a situation, comparable to diabetes, that causes poor blood movement
Problems might be particularly extreme when you have diabetes, which may trigger poor blood movement and broken nerves within the toes. So a minor foot harm — a lower, scrape, corn, callus or ingrown toenail — might not heal correctly and turn out to be contaminated.
To assist forestall an ingrown toenail:
- Trim your toenails straight throughout. Do not curve your nails to match the form of the entrance of your toe. If you happen to get a pedicure, ask the particular person doing it to trim your nails straight throughout. If in case you have a situation that causes poor blood movement to the toes and you’ll’t trim your nails, see a podiatrist usually to have your nails trimmed.
- Maintain toenails at a average size. Trim toenails so that they’re even with the information of your toes. If you happen to trim your toenails too quick, the stress out of your sneakers in your toes might direct a nail to develop into the tissue.
- Put on sneakers that match correctly. Sneakers that place an excessive amount of stress in your toes or pinch them might trigger a nail to develop into surrounding tissue. If in case you have nerve injury to the toes, chances are you’ll not be capable to sense in case your sneakers match too tightly.
- Put on protecting footwear. In case your actions put you susceptible to injuring your toes, put on protecting footwear, comparable to steel-toed sneakers.
- Examine your toes. If in case you have diabetes, test your toes every day for indicators of ingrown toenails or different foot issues.